Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Over the Rainbow

I am, I know, as I slip up on sixty, entering the age of imminent death.

Indeed, on any given day when I see palliative care patients, some, sometimes most, bracket my own age. Ordinary people living ordinary lives, no different than me living mine, than many I know or love, until life tosses a stick into the spokes and sends them over the handlebars.

Such a spill, in younger days, only meant scrapes that soon scabbed and healed.

But in my world now, over the handlebars too often means over the rainbow.

And bluebirds?

Not sure.

As for dreams that you dare to dream, all that’s important is all that ever was important, that they really do come true.

Which, of course, makes dreams still worth their dreaming.

And time, time all the more to cherish.

As in this, this very moment…


© 2011 Dónal Kevin Gordon

No comments: